NRCME Training Institute
Our Department of Transportation (DOT) accredited National Registry Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME) training program exceeds the core curriculum requirements established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) for both the Initial training and the 10-Year Recertification training. Upon completion of our self-paced online program, participants will have instant access to their Certificate of Completion, required to sit for the Medical Examiner national examination to become certified to perform commercial driver license (CDL) examinations on commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers for 10 years in all the states they are licensed to practice in independent of MD/DO supervision.
Call (866) 672-6384 with any questions or for single-provider discounts.
This DOT certification training program is for Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Doctor of Chiropractic (DC), Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN), Naturopathic Doctor (ND), Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS), Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT), Nurse Practitioner (NP) and Physician Assistant (PA) exceeds the core curriculum requirements established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Acupuncturist in Florida (LAc); Doctor of Physical Therapy in Arkansas, Louisiana, and North Dakota (DPT); Doctor of Oriental Medicine in New Mexico (OMD/DOM); Physical Therapist (PT) in Arkansas, Louisiana, North Dakota, and Texas; and Registered Nurse (RN) in Colorado are all eligible to become certified Medical Examiners.
NRCME Study Guide: Medical providers who completed a different training program and already have their Certificate of Completion but are seeking an additional DOT study guide and sample questions to better prepare for the national certification examination can purchase our program's proprietary Additional Reference materials for $99 by clicking here.
Our 2022 updated 10-hour training program consists of 15 self-paced courses and 11 quizzes, includes content from the FMCSA 5-Year Refresher Training, followed by a 50-question Final Test that participants can take as often as necessary to obtain their Certificate of Completion, required for Initial certification and for 10-Year Recertification.
Same Day Certificate
Participants will have instant access to their Certificate of Completion after passing our Final Test.
Participants will receive 2 years of unlimited access to our online classroom from any smart device to complete our 10-hour self-paced program.
DOT Study Guide
Proprietary additional NRCME study guides are included and available after passing our Final Test and include a Study and Reference Guide, a Pre-test Review, and over 500 practice questions, all to prepare providers to sit for the NRCME certification examination.
Our accredited DOT training program provides up to 10 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or 10 ANCC contact hours.
We offer email and telephone consulting with our medical advisory team for questions regarding regulations, both during and after training. Providers can contact us by email or by telephone at (866) 672-6384, 9 am - 9 pm EST 7/365.
Optional audio lectures of our program are included and available as MP3 files that can be downloaded and played on smart devices.
Participants will receive 4 published editions of The NRCME Report, a newsletter discussing NRCME regulations and industry-related news, a $99 value.
This program is reviewed periodically and updated to reflect any changes in FMCSA regulations. This program was last updated in July 2022.
How to Become Certified in 2022
1. Verify your eligibility to become a certified Medical Examiner (ME) with the DOT/FMCSA.
2. Register online with the DOT/FMCSA for your 10-digit National Registry number.
3. Enroll in our accredited program for your required training to obtain your Certificate of Completion. Once you complete our training program, upload your training certificate to your DOT/FMCSA account as soon as possible to avoid certification delays. Read more
4. Schedule the in-person $79 NRCME examination with either a PSI or Prometric testing company using the 10-digit National Registry certification number issued to you by the DOT/FMCSA. To locate testing centers near you, visit Google Maps and search for “PSI Testing” or “Prometric Testing”. Most testing centers are open six days a week.
Read our blog entry About the NRCME Exam
On the day you sit for the national exam, you will need to bring one of the following forms of identification (ID) (Note: temporary forms of ID, such as a temporary driver’s license or temporary employment card, are not acceptable):
- U.S. driver’s license with photograph
- State-issued ID card with photograph
- U.S. Passport
- U.S. Military ID card with photograph
- Permanent Resident Card with photo
- Native American Tribal ID Card with photo
- Foreign government-issued passport with photo
- Canadian Provincial driver’s license with photo
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card with photo (INAC)
You will also need to bring the following:
- A valid license to practice in your healthcare profession
- Your Certificate of Completion
- Your National Registry Number
Once the DOT has received and processed your passing exam score from the testing company, you will receive an email from the DOT with an official certificate indicating your status as a certified Medical Examiner listed on the public National Registry who can perform CDL examinations on commercial motor vehicle drivers (which can take 1 to 2 business days).
FMCSA Tech Support: For assistance regarding your national registry number, your DOT account, or your final certificate to perform CDL examinations, contact the DOT at FMCTECHSUP@dot.gov or by phone at (617) 494-3003.
© 2022. This CME-certified activity is held as copyrighted © by The NRCME Training Institute. Through this notice, The NRCME Training Institute grants permission of its use for educational purposes only. These materials may not be used, in whole or in part, for any commercial purposes without prior permission in writing from the copyright owner(s).