NRCME Certified Medical Examiners who are seeking to be recertified on the National Registry are required to be recertified no sooner than 9 years and no later than 10 years from the date of their initial Medical Examiner certification.
Our accredited NRCME training program will prepare participants to sit for the national exam to recertify and afford them a new training Certificate of Completion with 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or 14 ANCC contact hours.
Our program consists of 14 self-paced courses and 9 quizzes, followed by a 50-question Final Test that participants can take as often as necessary to obtain their certificate.
Steps to Complete 10-Year Recertification Training and Testing
- Enroll in our accredited recertification training program
- Take and pass our 50-question Final Test
- Download and print your new training Certificate of Completion
- Upload your training certificate into your DOT account
- Schedule the $80 NRCME exam at a PSI or Prometric testing facility near you
- Bring your certificate to the exam, along with your ID and a valid license to practice in your healthcare profession, if applicable.
To schedule your NRCME 10-year recertification exam, you will need to upload your new training Certificate of Completion to your DOT account. To report completion of the recertification training, log into your DOT National Registry account, access your user profile from the left side navigation menu by selecting “My Profile,” then select “Manage User Information.” Under “Training Details,” scroll down to the subsection titled “10-year Periodic Training Organization Details” and select Edit. Complete the data entry and document upload requirement (you must upload your new training Certificate of Completion) and select Save.
24 hours after you have uploaded your new training certificate, you will be eligible to schedule the $80 certification exam with either a PSI or Prometric testing company using the 10-digit National Registry certification number issued to you by the DOT. To locate testing centers near you, visit Google Maps and search for “PSI Testing” or “Prometric Testing”. Most testing centers are open six days a week.
NRCME 10-Year Recertification Program:
Estimated time to complete: 10-14 self-paced hours
Enrolled providers receive 2 years of unlimited access to the classroom.
Primary care physicians, occupational medicine physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, advanced practice registered nurses, naturopathic doctors, doctors of nursing practice, clinical nurse specialists, doctors of physical therapy, physical therapists and chiropractors that perform DOT medical examinations on CMV drivers and are seeking DOT certification. Click here to verify eligibility.
$349 per provider. Please call (941) 600-8411 for any current single-provider promotional discounts.
- 14 Self-paced courses, 9 quizzes
- 50 Question Final Test
- Personalized and dated training Certificate of Completion
- Optional audio and video files included
- Proprietary exam reference materials included*
*NRCME Exam Reference Materials include:
- NRCME Question Bank
- Preparing for and Passing the National Certification Examination
- NRCME Study and Reference Guide
- Primary Care or Specialist Opinion Letter
- The Job of a Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver
- The FMCSA 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training Modules 1-4
- 4 PDF editions of The NRCME Report newsletter - a $99 value.
- Apply knowledge of FMCSA's driver physical qualifications standards and advisory criteria to findings gathered during the driver's medical examination; and
- Make determinations of the driver's medical and physical qualifications for safely operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate commerce.
- Background, rationale, mission, and goals of the FMCSA medical examiner's role in reducing crashes, injuries and fatalities involving commercial motor vehicles.
- Familiarization with the responsibilities and work environment of commercial motor vehicle operations.
- Identification of the driver and obtaining, reviewing, and documenting driver medical history, including prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Performing, reviewing and documenting the driver's medical examination.
- Performing, obtaining and documenting diagnostic tests and obtaining additional testing or medical opinion from a medical specialist or treating physician.
- Informing and educating the driver about medications and non-disqualifying medical conditions that require remedial care.
- Determining driver certification outcome and period for which certification should be valid.
- FMCSA reporting and documentation requirements.
01) Introduction - Purpose, Changes, Regulations, Guidance, and Resources
02) Fundamentals of the Driver Medical Examination
04) The CMV Driver Examination
05) Vision and Hearing
10) Diabetes and Other Diseases
13) Drug Abuse and Alcoholism
14) Preparing for and Passing the National Certification Examination
NRCME Exam Reference Materials:
Included with our program are proprietary study materials, which include a pretest review for the national certification examination, an NRCME study and reference guide, the 4 FMCSA 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training modules, and an a question bank - all in PDF file format, ready to download for offline reading, searching and printing once the program has been completed. In total, there are over 400 sample questions contained in our NRCME Exam Reference Materials.
This program is reviewed periodically and updated to reflect any changes in FMCSA regulations. This program was last updated in August 2023.
Program Hardware/Software Requirements:
- A PC, MAC, iPad, Android tablet, or smartphone
- An internet connection
- An internet browser: Edge, Chrome or Firefox - Internet Explorer is no longer supported by us or the FMCSA
"Enrolling in the NRCME Training Institute was a great decision! I quickly passed both the program and the certification examination."
"This DOT program is well designed, thorough, and user-friendly."
"I found the NRCME Training Institute program to be user-friendly, comprehensive, and competitively priced."
"Probably the best DOT training program on the market and at a great price."
"This NRCME medical examiner course is great value for the money and they have outstanding customer service. I am highly satisfied!"
"The program presented the essentials in a clear manner while accommodating additional details for providers who sought more in-depth knowledge."
© 2023. This CME-certified activity is held as copyrighted © by The NRCME Training Institute. Through this notice, The NRCME Training Institute grants permission of its use for educational purposes only. These materials may not be used, in whole or in part, for any commercial purposes without prior permission in writing from the copyright owner(s).