The NRCME Training Institute used a collaborative approach involving federal regulators and medical content experts to develop a top rated proprietary DOT examiner training program that exceeds the FMCSA requirements for DOT certification.
Our online training program includes:
- 11 Self-paced courses
- 50 Question final test
- Personalized Certificate of Completion
- Optional audio program lectures
- Proprietary additional reference materials
Additional References available after program completion include (these proprietary materials are not required reading, but highly recommended):
- NRCME Question Bank.pdf (500+ sample questions)
- Pretest Review for the National Certification Examination.pdf
- NRCME Study and Reference Guide.pdf
- Primary Care or Specialist Opinion Letter.pdf
- The Job of a Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver.pdf
- FMCSA Medical Examiner Handbook 2014MAR18.pdf
- 2017 Draft Medical Examiner Handbook Changes.pdf
- 2019 July 1 Draft Medical Examiner Handbook.pdf
- Medical Examiner Report Form MCSA-5875 Expires Nov 30 2021.pdf
- Medical Examiner Certificate MCSA-5876 Expires Nov 30 2021.pdf
- 39141 CMV Driver Medication Form MCSA-5895.pdf
- MCSA-5870 ITDM Assessment Form Final.pdf
- Printable and searchable PDF of the complete program
- 4 PDF editions of The NRCME Report newsletter - a $99 value.
This DOT examiner training program provides up to 10 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or 10 ANCC contact hours. Click here for more information about our CME/CEU credits.
Program release date: 10/1/2016
Estimated time to complete: 10 hours (self-paced)
Enrolled providers receive 2 years of access to the classroom.
Primary care physicians, occupational medicine physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, advanced practice registered nurses, naturopathic doctors, doctors of nursing practice, clinical nurse specialists, doctors of physical therapy, physical therapists and chiropractors that perform DOT medical examinations on CMV drivers and are seeking DOT certification. Click here to verify eligibility.
$349 per provider. Please call (941) 600-8411 for any current single provider promotional discounts.
Our 2021 program conforms to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) core curriculum specifications to fulfill requirements for the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (National Registry). This training prepares medical examiners to better:
- Apply knowledge of FMCSA's driver physical qualifications standards and advisory criteria to findings gathered during the driver's medical examination; and
- Make determinations of the driver's medical and physical qualifications for safely operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate commerce.
Topics covered in this program include:
- Background, rationale, mission, and goals of the FMCSA medical examiner's role in reducing crashes, injuries and fatalities involving commercial motor vehicles.
- Familiarization with the responsibilities and work environment of commercial motor vehicle operations.
- Identification of the driver and obtaining, reviewing, and documenting driver medical history, including prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Performing, reviewing and documenting the driver's medical examination.
- Performing, obtaining and documenting diagnostic tests and obtaining additional testing or medical opinion from a medical specialist or treating physician.
- Informing and educating the driver about medications and non-disqualifying medical conditions that require remedial care.
- Determining driver certification outcome and period for which certification should be valid.
- FMCSA reporting and documentation requirements.
Our curriculum:Course 1: Welcome to the NRCME
Course 2: Fundamentals of the Driver Medical Examination
Course 3: Vision and Hearing
Course 4: Cardiovascular
Course 5: Hypertension
Course 6: Respiratory
Course 7: Neurological
Course 8: Musculoskeletal
Course 9: Diabetes and Other Diseases
Course 10: Psychological
Course 11: Drug Abuse and Alcoholism
Included with our program are proprietary documents, which include a Pretest Review for the National Certification Examination, an NRCME Study and Reference Guide, an NRCME Question Bank, and 3 versions of the FMCSA NRCME Medical Examiner Handbook - all in PDF file format, ready to download for offline searching and printing once the program has been completed. In total, there are over 500 sample questions contained in our Additional Reference materials. Optional audio lectures of the course are included and available for download as MP3 files that can be played on smart devices.
At the end of this program, participants should be better able to:
- Utilize appropriate federal regulations and guidelines for driver examinations
- Identify driver medical conditions that are disqualifying or limiting
- Complete required forms and documentation
- Evaluate driver medical conditions and potential impact on driver safety
The program is reviewed periodically and updated to reflect any changes in FMCSA regulations and guidelines.
Program Hardware/Software Requirements:
- A PC, MAC, iPad or smartphone
- An internet connection
- A web browser
- While not a requirement, our classroom is best viewed using a minimum screen resolution of 1024×768
We offer a full refund within 30 days of your enrollment date if you decide not to become certified and have not completed our program.
© 2021. This CME-certified activity is held as copyrighted © by The NRCME Training Institute. Through this notice, The NRCME Training Institute grants permission of its use for educational purposes only. These materials may not be used, in whole or in part, for any commercial purposes without prior permission in writing from the copyright owner(s).