The NRCME Training Institute used a collaborative approach involving federal regulators and medical content experts to develop a top-rated proprietary DOT examiner training program that exceeds the FMCSA requirements for DOT certification.
- 15 Self-paced courses
- Includes content from the FMCSA 5-Year Refresher Training, released in July 2022
- 50 Question Final Test
- Personalized and dated Certificate of Completion
- Optional program audio lectures
- Proprietary additional study materials*
*Additional References available after program completion include (these proprietary materials are not required reading, but are highly recommended):
- NRCME Question Bank.pdf (500+ sample questions)
- Pretest Review for the National Certification Examination.pdf
- NRCME Study and Reference Guide.pdf
- Primary Care or Specialist Opinion Letter.pdf
- The Job of a Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver.pdf
- The 4 FMCSA 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training Modules
- 4 PDF editions of The NRCME Report newsletter - a $99 value.
Medical providers who completed a different training program and already have their Certificate of Completion but are seeking an additional DOT study guide and sample questions to better prepare for the national certification examination can purchase our program's proprietary Additional Reference materials for $99 by clicking here.
Program release date: 10/1/2016
Enrolled providers receive 2 years of access to the classroom.
Primary care physicians, occupational medicine physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, advanced practice registered nurses, naturopathic doctors, doctors of nursing practice, clinical nurse specialists, doctors of physical therapy, physical therapists and chiropractors that perform DOT medical examinations on CMV drivers and are seeking DOT certification. Click here to verify eligibility.
$349 per provider. Please call us at (866) 672-6384 for current single-provider promotional discounts.
This program conforms to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) core curriculum specifications to fulfill requirements for the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (National Registry). This training prepares medical examiners to better:
- Apply knowledge of FMCSA's driver physical qualifications standards and advisory criteria to findings gathered during the driver's medical examination; and
- Make determinations of the driver's medical and physical qualifications for safely operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate commerce.
- Background, rationale, mission, and goals of the FMCSA medical examiner's role in reducing crashes, injuries and fatalities involving commercial motor vehicles.
- Familiarization with the responsibilities and work environment of commercial motor vehicle operations.
- Identification of the driver and obtaining, reviewing, and documenting driver medical history, including prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Performing, reviewing and documenting the driver's medical examination.
- Performing, obtaining and documenting diagnostic tests and obtaining additional testing or medical opinion from a medical specialist or treating physician.
- Informing and educating the driver about medications and non-disqualifying medical conditions that require remedial care.
- Determining driver certification outcome and period for which certification should be valid.
- FMCSA reporting and documentation requirements.
Course 01: Welcome to the NRCME
Course 02: Fundamentals of the Driver Medical Examination
Course 03: Vision and Hearing
Course 04: Cardiovascular
Course 05: Hypertension
Course 06: Respiratory
Course 07: Neurological
Course 08: Musculoskeletal
Course 09: Diabetes and Other Diseases
Course 10: Psychological
Course 11: Drug Abuse and Alcoholism
Course 12: 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training Module 1
Course 13: 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training Module 2
Course 14: 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training Module 3
Course 15: 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training Module 4
Course 16: Final Test, CME Credits, Additional References
Included with our program are proprietary study materials, which include a pretest review for the national certification examination, an NRCME study and reference guide, the 4 FMCSA 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training modules, and an NRCME question bank - all in PDF file format, ready to download for offline reading, searching and printing once the program has been completed. In total, there are over 500 sample questions contained in our Additional Reference materials. Optional audio lectures of the course are included and available for download as MP3 files that can be played on smart devices.
At the end of this program, participants should be better able to:
- Utilize appropriate federal regulations and guidelines for driver examinations
- Identify driver medical conditions that are disqualifying or limiting
- Complete required forms and documentation
- Evaluate driver medical conditions and potential impact on driver safety
This program is reviewed periodically and updated to reflect any changes in FMCSA regulations. This program was last updated in July 2022.
Program Hardware/Software Requirements:
- A PC, MAC, iPad, Android tablet, or smartphone
- An internet connection
- An internet browser: Edge, Chrome or Firefox - Internet Explorer is no longer supported by us or the FMCSA
"I have reviewed every other training program available, and the NRCME Training Institute program stood out for simplicity, clarity, and price."
"Elegant, thorough, easy-to-use!"
"This has to be the best dotmedical examiner course for the money and customer service. I'm very pleased."
"All of my providers were happy with the program and telephone support. The go at your own pace learning system was good for both inexperienced and experienced providers. Even the most experienced commented that they learned new information that will be invaluable."
"Presented the fundamentals clearly and offered as much additional detail as my providers wanted."
"The NRCME Training Institute program was fantastic! I was able to quickly gain the knowledge I needed and pass the certification examination."
"Best DOT training program for the money."
© 2022. This CME-certified activity is held as copyrighted © by The NRCME Training Institute. Through this notice, The NRCME Training Institute grants permission of its use for educational purposes only. These materials may not be used, in whole or in part, for any commercial purposes without prior permission in writing from the copyright owner(s).