The NRCME Training Institute collaborated with both federal regulators and medical content experts to develop a top-tier training program for DOT examiners. This program is proprietary, highly rated, and exceeds the requirements established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) for DOT certification. This training is designed to effectively prepare medical professionals for both initial DOT examiner certification and 10-year recertification.
Providers seeking to recertify: 10-Year Recertification
- 14 Self-paced courses, 9 quizzes
- Includes content from the FMCSA 5-Year Refresher Training
- 50 Question Final Test
- Personalized and dated training Certificate of Completion
- Optional audio and video files available
- Proprietary exam reference materials included*
*NRCME Exam Reference Materials include:
- NRCME Question Bank (400+ sample questions)
- Preparing for and Passing the National Certification Examination
- NRCME Study and Reference Guide
- Primary Care or Specialist Opinion Letter
- The Job of a Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver
- The FMCSA 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training Modules 1-4
- 4 PDF editions of The NRCME Report newsletter - a $99 value.
Estimated time to complete: 10-14 self-paced hours
Enrolled providers receive 2 years of unlimited access to the classroom.
Primary care physicians, occupational medicine physicians, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, advanced practice registered nurses, naturopathic doctors, doctors of nursing practice, clinical nurse specialists, doctors of physical therapy, physical therapists and chiropractors that perform DOT medical examinations on CMV drivers and are seeking DOT certification. Click here to verify eligibility.
This program conforms to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) core curriculum specifications to fulfill requirements for the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (National Registry). This training prepares medical examiners to better:
- Apply knowledge of FMCSA's driver physical qualifications standards and advisory criteria to findings gathered during the driver's medical examination; and
- Make determinations of the driver's medical and physical qualifications for safely operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) in interstate commerce.
- Background, rationale, mission, and goals of the FMCSA medical examiner's role in reducing crashes, injuries and fatalities involving commercial motor vehicles.
- Familiarization with the responsibilities and work environment of commercial motor vehicle operations.
- Identification of the driver and obtaining, reviewing, and documenting driver medical history, including prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- Performing, reviewing and documenting the driver's medical examination.
- Performing, obtaining and documenting diagnostic tests and obtaining additional testing or medical opinion from a medical specialist or treating physician.
- Informing and educating the driver about medications and non-disqualifying medical conditions that require remedial care.
- Determining driver certification outcome and period for which certification should be valid.
- FMCSA reporting and documentation requirements.
01) Introduction - Purpose, Changes, Regulations, Guidance, and Resources
02) Fundamentals of the Driver Medical Examination
04) The CMV Driver Examination
05) Vision and Hearing
10) Diabetes and Other Diseases
13) Drug Abuse and Alcoholism
14) Preparing for and Passing the National Certification Examination
NRCME Exam Reference Materials:
Included with our program are proprietary study materials, which include a pretest review for the national certification examination, an NRCME study and reference guide, the 4 FMCSA 5-Year Periodic Refresher Training modules, and an NRCME question bank - all in PDF file format, ready to download for offline reading, searching and printing once the program has been completed. In total, there are over 400 sample questions contained in our NRCME Exam Reference Materials. Optional audio and video files are included and available for download as MP3 and MP4 files.
At the end of this program, participants should be better able to:
- Utilize appropriate federal regulations and guidelines for driver examinations
- Identify driver medical conditions that are disqualifying or limiting
- Complete required forms and documentation
- Evaluate driver medical conditions and potential impact on driver safety
This program is reviewed periodically and updated to reflect any changes in FMCSA regulations. This program was last updated in October 2023.
Program Hardware/Software Requirements:
- A PC, MAC, iPad, Android tablet, or smartphone
- An internet connection
- An internet browser: Edge, Chrome or Firefox - Internet Explorer is no longer supported by us or the FMCSA
NRCME Training Programs:
"Enrolling in the NRCME Training Institute was a great decision! I quickly passed both the program and the certification examination."
"This DOT program is well designed, thorough, and user-friendly."
"I found the NRCME Training Institute program to be user-friendly, comprehensive, and competitively priced."
"Probably the best DOT training program on the market and at a great price."
"This NRCME medical examiner course is great value for the money and they have outstanding customer service. I am highly satisfied!"
"The program presented the essentials in a clear manner while accommodating additional details for providers who sought more in-depth knowledge."
© 2023. This CME-certified activity is held as copyrighted © by The NRCME Training Institute. Through this notice, The NRCME Training Institute grants permission of its use for educational purposes only. These materials may not be used, in whole or in part, for any commercial purposes without prior permission in writing from the copyright owner(s).