NRCME Training Institute
Our Department of Transportation (DOT) accredited National Registry Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME) training program exceeds the core curriculum requirements established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) for both the Initial training and the 10-Year Recertification training. Upon completion of our self-paced online program, participants will have instant access to their Certificate of Completion, which is the document required to sit for the Medical Examiner national examination to become certified to perform commercial driver license (CDL) examinations on commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers for 10 years in all the states they are licensed to practice in and do so independent of MD or DO supervision.
Call (941) 600-8411 for current single-provider discounts.
Providers seeking to recertify: 10-Year Recertification
Our DOT training program is for the initial NRCME training and for the 10-year NRCME recertification training for Doctor of Medicine (MD), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN), Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), Nurse Practitioner (NP) and Physician Assistant (PA). Our program exceeds the core curriculum requirements established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
Additional medical provider eligibility varies from state to state:
- Doctor of Chiropractic (DC) is eligible in all states except for Michigan, New York, and Washington.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) is eligible in Arkansas, Louisiana, and North Dakota.
- Naturopathic Doctor (ND) is eligible in Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington.
- Doctor of Oriental Medicine (OMD/DOM) is eligible in New Mexico.
- Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS) is eligible in Minnesota, Missouri, and Texas.
- Registered Nurse (RN) is eligible in Colorado.
- Physical Therapist (PT) is eligible in Arkansas, Louisiana, North Dakota, and Texas.
- Acupuncturist (LAc) is eligible in Florida.
✅ Certified Content
Our NRCME training online program consists of 14 self-paced courses and 9 quizzes, followed by a 50-question Final Test that participants can take as often as necessary to obtain their Certificate of Completion.
✅ Same Day Certificate
Participants will have instant access to their Certificate of Completion after passing our Final Test.
✅ Extended Access
Participants will receive 2 years of unlimited access to our online classroom from any smart device to complete our 14-hour self-paced program.
✅ DOT Study Guide
Proprietary reference materials included are a Study and Reference Guide, a Pre-test Review, and over 400 practice questions, all to prepare providers to sit for the NRCME certification exam.
✅ Accredited Program
Our accredited DOT training program provides up to 14 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or 14 ANCC contact hours.
✅ Customer Service
We offer email and telephone consulting with our medical advisory team for questions regarding regulations, both during and after training. Call us at (941) 600-8411 9 am - 9 pm EST 7/365 for assistance.
✅ Audio and Video
Optional audio and video lecture files included. Watch a sample of a classroom lecture here.
✅ NRCME Newsletter
Participants will receive 4 editions of The NRCME Report, a newsletter discussing NRCME regulations and industry news, a $99 value.
This program is reviewed periodically and updated to reflect any changes in FMCSA regulations. This program was last updated in October 2023.
How to Become Certified in 2023
1. Verify your eligibility to become a certified Medical Examiner (ME) with the DOT/FMCSA.
2. Enroll in our accredited NRCME training online program to obtain your Certificate of Completion.
4. Schedule the in-person $80 NRCME exam with either a PSI or Prometric testing company using the 10-digit National Registry certification number issued to you by the DOT. To locate testing centers near you, visit Google Maps and search for “PSI Testing” or “Prometric Testing”. Most testing centers are open six days a week.
Read our blog entry About the NRCME Exam
On the day you sit for the national exam, you will need to bring one of the following forms of identification (ID) (Note: temporary forms of ID, such as a temporary driver’s license or temporary employment card, are not acceptable):
• U.S. driver’s license with photograph
• State-issued ID card with photograph
• U.S. Passport
• U.S. Military ID card with photograph
• Permanent Resident Card with photo
• Native American Tribal ID Card with photo
• Foreign government-issued passport with photo
• Canadian Provincial driver’s license with photo
• Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card with photo (INAC)
You will also need the following:
• A valid license to practice in your healthcare profession
• Your training Certificate of Completion
• Your National Registry Number
Once the DOT has received and processed your passing exam score from the testing company, you will receive an email from the DOT with an official certificate indicating your status as a certified Medical Examiner listed on the public National Registry who can perform CDL examinations on commercial motor vehicle drivers (which can take 1 to 2 business days).
FMCSA Tech Support: For assistance regarding your national registry number, your DOT account, or your final certificate to perform CDL examinations, contact the DOT at FMCTECHSUP@dot.gov or by phone at (617) 494-3003.
For questions regarding our accredited NRCME training program or the NRCME certification process, call us at (941) 600-8411 9 am-9 pm EST 7/365.
"I have reviewed every other training program available, and the NRCME Training Institute program stood out for simplicity, clarity, and price."
"Elegant, thorough, easy-to-use!"
"This has to be the best dotmedical examiner course for the money and customer service. I'm very pleased."
"All of my providers were happy with the program and telephone support. The go at your own pace learning system was good for both inexperienced and experienced providers. Even the most experienced commented that they learned new information that will be invaluable."
"Presented the fundamentals clearly and offered as much additional detail as my providers wanted."
"The NRCME Training Institute program was fantastic! I was able to quickly gain the knowledge I needed and pass the certification examination."
"Best DOT training program for the money."
© 2023. This CME-certified activity is held as copyrighted © by The NRCME Training Institute. Through this notice, The NRCME Training Institute grants permission of its use for educational purposes only. These materials may not be used, in whole or in part, for any commercial purposes without prior permission in writing from the copyright owner(s).